The public disclosure of Project Mk-Ultra, following the Freedom of Information Act, sent shockwaves roaring through the American people. The universal sense of patriotism was tainted when the general public first looked upon the secret initiative that left the people disgusted and appalled. Though Mk-Ultra happened over half a century ago, the horrific events that took place should never be forgotten and the potential of our government shouldn’t go underestimated.
Mk-Ultra was a secret C.I.A project that took place from 1953, peaked in the late fifties and early sixties, then was reduced and eventually ended in 1973. The project comprised of 149 mind control experiments, with 25 known unwilling participants though there may be many more. The majority of participants used were random prisoners, prostitutes, mental patients, and drug addicts who were subject to various torture and drugging; Most of the people experimented on were left with lifelong trauma and psychological damage from the intensity of the experiments.
As listed by Wikipedia, the goals of Mk-Ultra were to discover the following:
- Substances which will promote illogical thinking and impulsiveness to the point where the recipient would be discredited in public.
- Substances which increase the efficiency of mentation and perception.
- Materials which will cause the victim to age faster/slower in maturity.
- Materials which will promote the intoxicating effect of alcohol.
- Materials which will produce the signs and symptoms of recognized diseases in a reversible way so they may be used for malingering, etc.
- Materials which will cause temporary/permanent brain damage and loss of memory.
- Substances which will enhance the ability of individuals to withstand privation, torture, and coercion during interrogation and so-called “brain-washing”.
- Materials and physical methods which will produce amnesia for events preceding and during their use.
- Physical methods of producing shock and confusion over extended periods of time and capable of surreptitious use.
- Substances which produce physical disablement such as paralysis of the legs, acute anemia, etc.
- Substances which will produce a chemical that can cause blisters.
- Substances which alter personality structure in such a way the tendency of the recipient to become dependent upon another person is enhanced.
- A material which will cause mental confusion of such a type the individual under its influence will find it difficult to maintain a fabrication under questioning.
- Substances which will lower the ambition and general working efficiency of men when administered in undetectable amounts.
- Substances which promote weakness or distortion of the eyesight or hearing faculties, preferably without permanent effects.
- A knockout pill which can be surreptitiously administered in drinks, food, cigarettes, as an aerosol, etc., which will be safe to use, provide a maximum of amnesia, and be suitable for use by agent types on an ad hoc basis.
- A material which can be surreptitiously administered by the above routes and which in very small amounts will make it impossible for a person to perform physical activity.
What’s even more frightening than the possibility of the C.I.A actually discovering these substances, are the means they employed to try and get to that point. Many of the experiments included physical and sexual abuse, isolation, hypnosis, sensory deprivation, and drugging. Unwilling subjects were kidnapped and broken down physiologically in unimaginably intense situations. Among the many drugs people were given without their knowledge and consent, the one most employed in Mk-Ultra was the powerful and long-lasting hallucinogen, L.S.D. Subjects would be interrogated aggressively in a bright room after being given a high dose of L.S.D without their knowledge. The intense hallucinations skyrocket the fear and paranoia experienced by the user, leaving those abused in the Mk-Ultra experiences with possible PTSD from the trauma and an unstable mindstate that could last for life. In the most extreme experiment, one mental patient in Kentucky was given L.S.D for 174 consecutive days. Not all L.S.D experiments were unwilling however, in some cases, heroin addicts were offered heroin in exchange for their participation. In the same destructive manner, some patients were injected with Barbiturates (a heavy downer) in one arm, and when they started to fall asleep were then injected with Amphetamines (a heavy stimulant) in the other arm; The opposing drugs in the body caused the patient to enter a state of babbling in which they might reveal information. Other abuses of the mind are shown through hypnosis experiments, where people would be put into hypnotically induced anxiety states without their knowing.
The most disturbing aspect of Mk-Ultra is the fact that the people involved burned many documents (after being ordered to by the C.I.A Director at the time) regarding the project. There’s no telling the number of documents destroyed and what twisted experiments could be lost in time. Most likely the experiments were far more gruesome and horrific than the documents show and involving way more people than previously disclosed. One private investigator, whose mother was a victim of Mk-Ultra, claims that the project continues to this day under a different name. The American people should never turn a blind eye to the potential of the government, especially considering how blatantly they showed their true colors in project Mk-Ultra. Do you honestly think they abandoned these initiatives?