- Share your plans. Tell someone where you are going and when you plan to be back.
- Do not depend exclusively on a cellular/mobile phone.
- Instead of relying unduly on a cell phone, especially for your more ambitious wilderness excursions, consider the rental or purchase of a satellite phone.
- A CB or ham radio is another option.
5. Consider carrying one of the handheld GPS devices now available.
6. You can also purchase a personal locator beacon (PLB)
7. Make sure you are using a vehicle meant for desert terrain.
8. Listen to your body. Bring sufficient water for each person travelling with you.
9. Respect the heat.
10. Be prepared for emergencies.